Sunday, February 2, 2014

Classy and fabulous the Desi way

In the words of Coco Chanel, “A girl should be two things, classy and fabulous.” Our society has given different connotations to both classy and fabulous, but there are certain things that most women do to look and feel fabulous, and the most common thing would be getting their eyebrows to look nice and getting facials. While some women tweeze, others might be getting the hair in their eyebrows yanked out – waxing that is, to get them to look a certain way. Some people have thick eyebrows while others like myself have thin and light brows. The latest trend in getting the eyebrows a perfect shape is to get them threaded, which is a very typical way of grooming for desis.
Desi Eyebrow Threading
This beautiful eye ISN'T mine. 

Growing up in South Florida there were very few desis and so the route to get rid of a unibrow meant getting waxed. Along with our naturally tanned skin, desi are blessed, (sometimes it feels like a curse though) with thick black hair. Waxing and sometimes bleaching is another technique used to look and feel fabulous; most girls don’t like having facial hair. It feels as though desi skin is also very different, and maybe because of our diet, we tend to be prone to breakouts.
In Boca, eyebrows can be threaded at a lot of different places. However, the price varies drastically. Although a few ladies have been offering threading and facial services out of their homes, I’d much rather pay a few dollars more at a salon. But a few dollars is a couple of dollars, not twice the amount! There are a few salon’s that want to charge $18+ just to thread eyebrows, waxing will end up costing an additional arm and a leg; and most salons don’t know or don’t recommend bleaching facial hair. My personal experience with the overpriced “spa’s” has also not been the best. Either the wax will make me breakout, or the person threading clearly has no idea what they are doing and I end up with droopy eyebrows! Not to mention how painful a facial ends up being. 
Eyebrow styles
Various eyebrow styles.
Some years back I was told by a friend about a new salon, Preeti’s Salon which is located on Palmetto slightly west of Powerline next to Pei Wei. The owner is from India. The prices are amazing, there are coupons on her website, and what I like the most is that Preeti, the owner, understands my skin very well. The salon offers your typical mani pedi and various other services offered by the classic salons and spas. I recently decided my skin and I needed some pampering, so I booked an appointment for a facial.
I went in a few minutes early, and naturally the girls working knew me and said Preeti would be in shortly. Preeti came in and the first thing she did was thread my eyebrows. She knows I prefer to wax my upper lip and chin so she told me that would be done after the facial. Then we went to the facial room and it was a cute small room. I was given a towel wrap type of thing to wear. There was a CD player in the room and music that was played was very relaxing. I almost wanted to fall asleep. The products she used smelled nice, some smelled fruity others smelled minty. My face was bleached, and so that helped to hide the dark facial hair. I really thought my face would need to be waxed afterwards but that was not the case. During the facial, my arms, legs, feet, head, and shoulders were all massaged! This was the best kind of pampering a girl can get!

At the end, my skin was literally glowing! Preeti managed to rid my nose of all the blackheads as well. I've had facials in the past from various other salons and spas in the area, and always regretted it. I would always breakout more after my facials. This was not the case at Preeti’s Salon; the herbal facial was awesome! It was a very painless process, which resulted in incredibly clean glowing radiant skin! It took another desi girl to get this Desi Girl’s skin to look fabulous and feel classy!

No comments:

Post a Comment