Sunday, April 13, 2014

Murphy strikes inevitably


superstitiousThe semester is about to come to an end, and I still can’t believe I am actually almost (keeping my fingers crossed) done with my bachelor’s. Like most desis, I too am very superstitious. Several years ago, while in Pakistan, I saw a palmist, who many people claim is indeed gifted and never wrong. I remember him distinctly telling me that it will be close to impossible to finish my bachelor’s but that if I am able to, (and let me just add, according to him not only am I incredibly lucky, but that I have god’s luck on my side; he mentioned something about there being two types of luck and I am one of those rare people that has both lucks on my side) anyways, he predicted that my bachelor’s degree would be the first step towards achieving greater heights in life.

PalmistryUp until this point, everything he has told us and predicted has been dead on! He told my husband that he’s going to travel overseas sometime when he is 27 or 28 and surly that was dead on. He also told my husband he will be working in the marketing field but should try to change his line of work to something that is more hands on. He said we’d have 3 kids, and though we’ve always wanted 4, I think right now the husband and I are very happy with our 3.

Fear of Hurdles
There have been several hurdles in my path to completing my Bachelor’s. My first semester as a junior at FAU I was married. I tried to come back after 1 year, but having my husband so far away and the death of my Grandfather all held me back, so I threw in the towel and went back to Pakistan. Shortly thereafter we moved to Florida from Pakistan and had 2 kids back to back. I struggled against all odds and told my husband how badly I wanted to finish school and as always, he was super-duper supportive. Finally I decided to make a comeback after almost 5 years. My first semester back was awesome and I was able to get admitted in the Online BBA program and was to start in the Fall semester. I was all set and registered for the locked down accounting program, and that was when Murphy hit hard.  

Back to school momHaving a horrible pregnancy, I spent more time in the hospital from constantly being dehydrated and suffering from migraines. I had to medically withdraw from my classes. Withdrawing was not pushing me back simply 1 semester, it was pushing me behind 1 whole year! I mustered up the courage to go back the very next semester after deciding that a bachelor’s was most important, thus changing my major from accounting to management. In the spring 2012 semester I gave a final at 4 am and delivered a baby at 9 am on the same day. I took the summer semester off and decided to pick up the pace during the fall semester.

After more issues kept propping up, I decided on declaring a second major in marketing and a minor in Business Law. FAU offered some classes and didn’t offer other classes; there were pre-requisites that needed to be met, basically Murphy kept striking and I kept pushing through!  By the way, for any and all that are in the Management program at FAU, it is best to be a double major, you need the extra classes in order to graduate.

Murphy's Law
Somehow, and I seriously don’t know how, but somehow, I made it to this final semester. Surly, Murphy has been up to no good. My daughter broke her arm and I thought that would be the hardest I was going to get hit before graduation, but nope, Murphy isn’t playing around; anything that can go wrong, WILL GO WRONG!

With that being said, as though the pressure of graduating isn’t enough, my mom fell sick. She’s normally a very healthy person. She’s isn’t a typical grandmother to my kids, she is very active. She’s helped out a lot throughout the past several semesters, when she is here that is. It started out as what she thought was either gasses or muscular pain. The pain not ending convinced her to get an EKG which landed her in the hospital. Not too long afterwards, she went through an angiography which showed the cause of the pain in her chest was indeed the result of an artery being 90% blocked! The docs put in a stent, and now she’s back home thank goodness.

Desis will all agree, Desi Moms are simply the best! They will put up with anything and everything just to see their kids smile. Being scared she might miss my graduation she didn’t want to go for the angiography, buy once we were able to convince her otherwise, she wanted to get it done with ASAP so she could take part in my daughter’s birthday party that we’ve been planning.


Winging it quoteSo here we are, about 2 weeks left in school as an undergrad, and I am ready to face whatever else Murphy has in store for me. Would it be bad to admit that up until now, I think I simply have been winging it? When someone asks me “How do you do it?” Trust me, I am not lying, nor trying to be humble when I respond “I don’t know.” All I do know though, is there are certain things I have learned, and perhaps the most I learned was in this last semester.

Climbing stepsThough this might be the last blog post that will be graded, this Desi Girl will keep the blog up and alive. This might be my last few weeks as an undergrad, this Desi Girl is more ready now than ever before to do more with life, and refuses to think this is the where the road ends for school; this is just the last step in the first staircase of many more to come. Thank you all so very much for reading! Desi Girl will be back soon with lots more interesting details to share!



No comments:

Post a Comment