Sunday, February 9, 2014

Desi Girl and Hair Problems

Grass is always greener on the other side, whoever came up with this notion must've known a lot about how many people think. From as far back as I can remember, I've always thought the grass on the other side is much more greener. As a kid I always had long, thick, jet black hair. It was straight and all I wanted was to have brown (actually more like light brown) curly hair. As I was growing up I remember getting my hair chopped off and getting it layered. I even got highlights put in and my hair has never been the same since. 

Salon experience
Layers brought waves in my hair. I would grow it out and then chop it off color it lighter and lighter until I had blonde highlights. Then the trend of having silky straight hair came in. I've always liked being up with the latest trends, but on my terms. I would fly to New York and it would end up costing me a fraction of what it would cost to get my hair done in Boca. I would have the girl up there color and chemically straighten my hair. The processing only made the hair weaker and curlier. 

Things desi girls do to hairFinally I invested in a good straightener and vowed to never get my hair bleached or chemically straightened. Somehow though, every year maybe year and a half I would go get it colored, then let it grow out, and repeat this trend. Watching Bollywood movies and Pakistani and Indian drama serials I want to color my hair browns and ash blonde. After watching American movies and TV I want my hair to be dark again. 

South Florida Hair SalonNot to long ago, I posted about being classy the desi way. Similarly, about a year and a half ago, I discovered a a little place that has turned out to be the best salon in South Florida!! My stylist is Karen. She only works 2 days, Thursday's and Sunday's but if you're desi and want to get a cut, blow-dry, color, or highlights, I can't think of any place better than this salon! 


I had a few desi parties to go, in case you've forgotten we pretty much need an excuse to get together and eat. My hair was actually 3 different colors, and so as always Karen came to the rescue. I texted her and asked when would be good for her. I explained what had happened to my hair... I attempted to color it at home to make the ends darker, and the roots lighter. Let's just leave it at, if you're desi and cursed with dark hair that's been been double processed, unless you're a pro DON'T TRY TO DO ANYTHING AT HOME! 

Luckily for me, Karen was able to fix my hair, and unlike the various other salons I've been to in the past, let's just say a full head of highlights, double processed coloring, cut, blow dry, and a deep conditioning treatment cost less than what a full head of highlights would've cost. 

The Salon is located on Hillsboro and Powerline, in the Deerfield Mall. It's in the strip-mall that is located facing Hillsboro, slightly west of Powerline, on the south side. 

For now, the grass on my side is as green as it gets!!

1 comment: